Thursday, July 24, 2014

“Life is a lot of Stuff”

I could hear the discussion as I came into the house after work.  My wife was discussing daily, routine tasks with my son.  This was a normal conversation that occurred from time to time.

“Did you get your chores done?”
“What about your stretches?  Did you do all of them?”
“How much math did you complete today?  Are you planning to do more tonight?’
“What time did you get up today?”

I join in.

“You’ve only been up since noon.  Did you really expect to get everything done?”
“Don’t forget to put your clothes away.”
“You have drink glasses on the table that need to go in the sink.”
“Did you finish your daily reading?”

It is about this time that we get a louder-than-normal, “NOW WAIT A MINUTE!”
“You can’t expect me to get that much stuff done in a day!”

The door is now open.  Won’t you come in?

My wife and I love the opportunity to teach, impart wisdom on, and, generally, educate our sons on life.  Our response is a well choreographed back and forth that would make any tennis match viewer dizzy.

“We are not asking you to do anything out of the ordinary.”
“You knew this morning that this stuff needed to be done.”
“You have to get yourself organized so you can prioritize your work for the day.”
“We’ve recommended that you use your calendar but you never set it up.”
“You are going to be living on your own within a couple of years.  You need to learn these skills.”
“You have to get your work done AND take care of yourself.”
“I don’t think you want your mommy and daddy living with you.”
“Most of what we are asking you to do is a part of normal life.”

“I know but… Life is a lot of stuff”

You know what, he is right.  Life is a lot of stuff.  I can’t say it any better than that.

Colossians 3:23-24  “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”
- What is your plan? -

No comments:

Post a Comment