Saturday, July 19, 2014

“Making Tracks - A Week in Review”

No week ever goes as planned.  We all start with a well intentioned plan, but it never seems to go according to our plan. (Note: I wrote this a couple of weeks ago prior to a much needed vacation.)

My plan was to get a jump on the work week.  Get up early and be to work by 0730.  My plan was subverted the minute I walked down the stairs.  

The smell hit me like a three shot espresso.  I’m wide awake now.  It smelled like someone had slaughtered a deer and hit all the bad parts.  

The dog got sick and defecated all over the dining room, kitchen and hallway.  As he has gotten older, he is having accidents more frequently, but this...this was like nothing we’ve ever had to deal with before.  He started at the base of the stairs and decided to run an obstacle course while discharging.  He managed to create a  serpentine course under the dining room table, between the legs of the chairs, and continue the release into the middle of the kitchen.  He then, apparently, repositioned to the office area where he left a nice chocolate streak down the hallway toward the kitchen.  I guess he was “Making Tracks”.

My Monday morning started with 35 minutes of scrubbing on my hands and knee.  Thankfully, we have mostly tile floor downstairs.  This was not my plan.

Because of my decision to get an early start on Monday, my wife and I departed from our normal gym schedule.  We went to the gym separately to continue our quest to go From-Couch-to-5K.  This is our attempt to “Make Tracks” to healthier living.  I think it might just put us in the hospital.  Running is hard.

Tuesday was a good trek.  A few surprises, mostly positive, and certainly nothing like the dog squirts.  Tuesday night I found myself at our church council meeting.  Council nights are a little tough because Tuesday nights are family night at our house.  It is the only night we are all home together.  Busy teenagers.  The meeting went well with a few curves in the road as we welcome several new members and new ideas.     

Wednesday morning the dog decided to leave me a few surprises closer to home.  He decided it was a good idea to evacuate during his morning stretch.  He sleeps on the floor near my side of the bed.  Needless to say, I stepped lightly out of bed to avoid his #2.  Another early morning clean up.  Again, not what I had planned.  

My wife and I made it to the gym in the morning and completed our run.  My plan was to shower at the gym and head into work.  Work would have to wait since I left my belt and deodorant at home.  More “Tracks”, and miles on the car, as I had to return home because nobody wants my BO around the office, even if I am wearing a tie.

Thursday’s plan was to get into work early again.  I am trying to closeout several tasks as we are preparing for a much needed summer family vacation.  Thursday was my last full work day before we depart.  It was difficult to stay focused while I beat back thoughts of laying on the beach with a little umbrella drink in my hand.  My “Tracks” around the office were a little more hurried today.  My boss told me to put everything on hold and start concentrating on the vacation.  The work will be here when I get back.  I think that is why I’m afraid.

Remember earlier when I said that “we” had to deal with the dog’s accidents.  My wife and son got their chance to participate.  You got it.  For the third and fourth time this week, the dog left us a little treat.  This time in the living room.  Get out the Target bags, rubber gloves and rags.  And to think, my son loves animals and wants to be a vet.  This is good practice, but this was not exactly his plan.

At the time of this writing, Friday is yet to happen, but don’t you worry, I will have a plan.  Actually, we have great plans to spend the day together as a family on a harbor cruise and tour of Fort Wool.  It will be interesting to see what alternate “Tracks” await us.

Maybe I’ve stumbled onto the problem.  It is our plan, not God’s plan.  Consider, through prayer,  the “Tracks” He would have for you.  I bet it will make a difference in the way you approach each day.  Every week that I get to “Make Tracks” with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is a great week.

Jeremiah 29:11  “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

- What is your plan? -


No comments:

Post a Comment