Wednesday, May 14, 2014

“That’s not my problem”

In John G. Miller’s book, QBQ!, The Question behind the Question, the message is very clear.  The message is personal accountability.  Personal accountability is, in part, the ability to use “I” statements that indicate your acceptance of responsibility for the outcome in a given situation.


“I messed that up.”  
“I didn’t complete my assignment on time.”
“I failed to treat you with respect.”


A person with a lack of personal accountability will try to deflect responsibility and place blame onto someone else.


“They didn’t do their job.”
“She was suppose to remind me.”
“He didn’t tell me about the next task.”


Personal accountability plays a significant role in defining the problem for any given plan implementation.  If the person identifying the problem lacks personal accountability, he will most certainly identify the wrong problem.  There is a clear link between personal accountability and incorrectly identifying the problem.  Let’s walk through a “hypothetical” situation.


A high school junior is told by his teacher that he is almost finished with the school year.  He looks at the large amount of remaining work on his schedule and concludes that the “problem” is that his teacher obviously lied to him.  There is way too much work to be almost done with the school year.  This junior did not ask the question behind the question.  


The real “problem” was his lack of output or willingness to put in the hard work.  A better response from the junior would have been, “I have a lot of work to do.  I better get to work.”


I think we all need to take responsibility for our output and “get to work”.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 “For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” “

- What is your plan? -

No comments:

Post a Comment