Thursday, May 15, 2014

“I Know”

My all time favorite response from my teenagers is “I Know”.  It’s multi-purpose and conveys a complete thought.  It indicates wisdom as the synonyms for “know” are grasp, understand, and comprehend.  Merriam-Webster tells us it literally means “to have knowledge”.  We all know that teenagers have all the knowledge they need.  This is why “I Know” is not only my favorite response, it is also the most frequent.


“You have Spanish homework due tomorrow.”
“I Know.”
“If you know, why don’t you do it now.”
“I Know!”
“The Spanish homework is not going to complete itself.”
“I Know!!”
“If you know, why am I having to tell you?”
(BIG EYE ROLL)
[another favorite]


Sounds like a complete grasp of the situation to me.


“We have to be out the door by 12:15 tomorrow.  You have an appointment.”  
“I Know.”
“You said “I Know” the last time and you were 20 minutes late.”
“I Know!”
“If you know, then what is your plan to make sure you are on time?”
“ahh”
“You need a plan to get up on time.”
“I know.”
[He was only 12 minutes late this time]


“Your appointment was moved from today to next week.”
“I know.”
“How could you possible have known?  I just received the email.”
“ahh”
[gotcha]
He clearly has a complete comprehension of all knowledge.


We have an abundance of “knowing” in our house.  Anybody need a little?


Proverbs 2:10 “For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.”

- What is your plan? -

1 comment:

  1. O my gosh!! This is so true. Your kids must be great. You can share stories about them and they won't care. Follow my blog coming out soon "Go in the corner and fix your life."

    ReplyDelete