Thursday, March 26, 2015

"Burning Other People’s Opportunity Cost"

Part of effective planning includes counting the costs.  This is not only logical, it is biblical.  Jesus tells us in Luke 14:28-30

“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?  For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’”

Admittedly this was a parable intended to explain the cost of being a Christ follower, but, if you will allow, I think it also fits with the more general point about counting costs in our planning process. It can also be applied to the less obvious cost consideration, opportunity cost.


Counting the opportunity cost does not only include the spender’s opportunity cost.  It also includes the opportunity cost of others since most of our plans include other people.  They also have an opportunity cost in this equation; specifically an opportunity cost in terms of time.


Sorry.  That was a lot of context to set up my point.  


Have you ever considered the amount of other people’s opportunity cost (OPOC) you burn through the execution of  your plans?  Maybe you’ve had your opportunity cost burned within someone else's plan.  I know some “talented planners” (TP) who can burn tons of OPOC.  


TP - “Will you help me with my assignment?”
Me - “Sure, when do you want to start?”
TP - “In a minute.  Let me close out of this other work first.”
Me - “Ok.  I won’t start my taxes right now so I can help you.”
-25 minutes later -
Me - “Thought you needed help with your assignment?”
TP - “Oh...Yeah.  Let me close out of this other work first”


Me - “Breakfast will be ready in 15 minutes.”
TP - “I will be right down.”
- 30 minutes later, with reheated food -
TP - “I have to go to the bathroom first”


Me - “We need to run to the store, do you want to come with?”
TP - “Sure, let me finish this game first.”
- 20 minutes later -
Me - “I going to wait in the car.”


Smell that?  It’s burning OPOC.

- What is Your Plan? -

No comments:

Post a Comment